Sunday, July 31, 2005

SERIES ON WORLDVIEWS

Hello everyone. Sorry it's been so long since my last post--I've been a very busy fella!

Anyways, I thought it would be good to start a series on philosophy and worldviews. It is very important to know not only what we believe, but also why we believe it, and how we know it is true.

Test yourself with the following question. Write down the letter of any response which applies to you. Here it is:

I know Christianity is true because...
a. My parents raised me that way.
b. I feel it in my heart.
c. Jesus told me so.
d. I had a dream--God told me in a dream.
e. I tried drugs. I tried sex. I tried rock 'n' roll. Now I tried Jesus; He's pretty cool!
f. Jesus freed me from addictions.
g. It makes me happy.
h. I wanted to have a feeling of belonging to something or someone.
i. Church is a great place to meet moral chicks/studs!
j. I wanted to have a safe environment to raise my children in.
k. We need religion to control people.
l. The preacher kept telling me to raise my hand.
m. The preacher kept telling me to come forward.
n. The preacher kept telling me to sign the card.
o. The preacher kept telling me to pray the "repeat after me" prayer.
p. All my friends were becoming Christians.
q. My parents hate Christianity, and I don't like my parents.
r. The worship band really rocks!
s. I had a crush on her/him.

OK, so how did you do? Wanna know your score? Here it is: If your answer was any of the above, then you're on shaky ground. You scored zero.

You see, the above reasons are common reasons that your average American evangelical professing Christian claims they "know" Christianity is true. But none of the above are reasons to base the truth upon.

My non-Christian, unbelieving philosophy professor in college told the class something that is absolutely correct. He said, "We need to find out the truth for what it really is, and not what we would like it to be." This is absolutely correct. It makes no shread of difference if I pretend to have or would like to have a million dollars--the fact is I am most certainly not a millionaire! Likewise, just because we want something to be true, doesn't make it true.

But I know Christianity is true. I know it for certain. God intends that you know it for certain as well.

It is time for the apologetics blogs to begin. Please give any comments you would like. I also invite all e-mails and discussions. This is important.

If you're already a Christian, I hope that God uses this to increase your hope and your love for the Lord and the truth of God's Word.

If you're not a Christian, I hope that you will consider your own beliefs and compare them to the claims of God's Word.

Let the defense of the faith begin. See you in my next blog!

--Josh Brisby

1 comment:

Robert Cole said...

Hey josh,
Thanks for the package. I hope all is going well for your family. I miss our morning discussions and accountability. I pray you are receiving good accountability there in the big CA. Look forward to hearing more from you on the worldview subject. Good work!
Robert.