Thursday, October 27, 2005

PRAISE TO THE GOD OF THE KEYS

Yesterday, I lost my keys (again). It was late at night, and I was very tired, because my wife and I had already stayed up later than usual the night before watching Brian Godawa's To End All Wars. (By the way, if you haven't seen that movie yet, then you need to. It is incredible. I'll blog on it one of these days.) I started searching, and I woke up my poor wife to help me. It was actually saddening to me. My teacher's edition of my physical science book was in the car, and my wife does not have car keys. I also drive the car to work. Not to mention, my wallet was in my car, which in turn has my driver's license. In fact, I had already lost my earlier set of keys--so this was the last of them.

I felt like giving up. My wife and I had both prayed. I even felt like despairing.

Finally, I prayed again:

"Lord," I thought, "work Your wonders."

Immediately after that my wife showed me the keys. She told me they were under the bed, under a fold of the blanket, out of sight and difficult to see.

It didn't matter. I started to tear up.

I looked at each key individually.

This is the key to the door of my car. And this is the key to the ignition of my car. These keys represent the fact that God has blessed me with transportation to provide for my family.

I continued looking at the keys, my tears blurring my eyes.

This is the key to our van. The Lord blessed us with this so we could have more space to transport my family as our family grows, which is also a blessing from Him.

This is the key to the doors at Covenant Christian School, the job that the Lord has blessed me with. This job He has given me to provide for my family, and to grow in my faith and encourage others in their faith. I love the job He has given me.

And this is the key to our house. The Lord takes care of us. Our house belongs to Him. Jesus Christ rules our house.

I told my wife that I don't understand how anyone can make it without God. How does anyone have any hope? I don't even have any hope when it comes to finding anything without God. And this isn't the first time the Lord has revealed to us the things that we have lost. Once in high school I lost my wallet in the ocean at the beach. We prayed, and that, too, was found. I have had that wallet since the sixth grade.

And, most of all, it is the Lord who reveals to us that we are lost. Only by His sovereign grace does He open our eyes to see our desperate and sinful condition. It is only He who causes us to see our desperate need for Christ, and only He shows us the beauty of His Son.

O Lord, I praise You, for You are the God of the keys. O Lord, I praise You, for You are the God of the wallet.

O Lord, I praise You, the God of the keys, for You are the God of my salvation.

--Josh Brisby

1 comment:

christopher said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.