Friday, November 24, 2006

UNLESS GOD SURROUNDS US, WE PERISH

Yesterday something special happened between me and my second-born son, Aaron. We were going through an automatic car wash, and he was scared. He started crying and calling out for me. I turned around and held his hand, but that was not enough. So, I took him out of his car seat and put my arms around him and held him tight.

He immediately stopped crying and was comforted. He buried himself in my chest and placed his arms inside my grip.

I was thinking about this. This is exactly how we are, as weak sinners. We need God's sovereign care and sustaining to embrace us. If God were to "barely" hold on to us, we would not be comforted, even as Aaron was not comforted with me just holding his hand.

No, we need our Lord to envelope us with His care. Then, and only then, will we be comforted.

My son Aaron was comforted because he trusted that I would protect him. Not only did he trust that I would protect him, but he knew that I was able to.

May we trust that our Lord will sustain us and surround us with His utmost care and love. Not only that, but may we meditate on the fact that He is able to because of Who He is. He is the great I AM.

See Isaiah 40.

No comments: