Friday, March 14, 2008

UPDATE ON CHURCH SEARCH

Dear Family and Friends,

Just a quick update on our church hunt situation. As you know, last Sunday we visited the Oceanside URC. That went very well. We enjoyed the worship in its reverence and we enjoyed the liturgy. This Sunday we will be visiting New Life PCA in Escondido ( http://www.newlifepca.com/ ). So, both churches are Reformed churches, and both have different worship styles.

Basically, if we end up joining New Life PCA in Escondido, we would still go to GBC in the evenings for the Lord's Table. If we joined the Oceanside URC, we would have the Table weekly as well as evening service there, and we would need to dissolve our membership at GBC. That of course is a very difficult decision.

I have the difficult task of being the leader of my family and making the final decision as to where we will end up. There are pros and cons of whichever way we go. At this point, I need to consider how much weight some of the pros and some of the cons have. I of course want to run over all of this with my beautiful wife, who is my counselor. I want to do what is best for my entire family, and not just what I want. I need to remember that.

Any words of wisdom in the comments section are very welcome. Lift us up in your prayers please. You all know how painful this has been for us. We are slowly getting better, but also pray especially for any who may be saddened by this as well.

Thank you all for your prayers thus far. We know the Lord will never leave us nor forsake us. We take comfort in that.

4 comments:

Gospel.or.Death said...

First, make any decision to join a new church very slowly, asking lots of advice, and waiting just a little longer than you think you need to.

Second, while I advocate making the decision slowly and carefully, I don't advocate taking forever. There is a point where careful patience becomes inaction.

Third, have you ruled out Escondido OPC for a reason? It meets in the chapel on the campus of Westminster Seminary. The preaching is excellent. It's a very simple, standard reformed liturgy that includes the reading of the law and a declaration of pardon. Plus, there is the bonus of a number of the seminary professors that regularly attend, and I think there are about 10 or 11 interns/students, maybe more. As for Sunday School, there are three classes. The first is approximately for 6 and under, and they are learning the children's catechism and doing crafts and other fun things. Children about ages 6-12 are learning the Westminster Shorter Catechism and memorizing Scripture. And ages 12 and up (at the parents' discretion) are in the adult class, which is topical, and varies, taught either by the pastor, one of the interns or one of the professors. We'd love to have ya!

Gospel.or.death

Gospel.or.Death said...

PS

http://escondidoopc.org/

Josh Brisby said...

Gospel or Death,

How often does the Escondido OPC have the Table? Also, one brother gave some good advice to me: he said to imagine whatever church we join as the one my covenant children can grow up into the covenant in, and one we could grow old with--just like a marriage.

I also knew pastor Zach Keele from when I was at WSC, but I'm not sure if he remembers me. :0)

Gospel.or.Death said...

I sent you an email to your yahoo address.